Rent Support Information

Thank you for completing the form. We are sorry that you are facing difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 situation. We will review the information submitted and discuss it with your landlord before coming back to you.

It is important to state that you should NOT simply stop paying your rent as you are still liable for your rent. Any unpaid rent will build as a debt and depending on the terms of your tenancy agreement you could also be charged fees and interest. You are still obligated by the terms of your tenancy and missed payments that have not been agreed could still result in adverse credit, CCJs (County Court Judgements) or even bankruptcy.

Apart from their mortgage payments your landlord will have other property related expenses to meet and the surplus rent may also be their income, for some it could be their only income and just like tenants they may have their own mortgage, bills and kids to support too.

Depending on your circumstance, you may be eligible to some financial assistance and we encourage you to:

  • You may seek an advanced payment on their Universal Credit by contacting the DWP on the Universal Credit helpline 0800 328 5644
  • If you are unable to work due to sickness or self-isolation, you are entitled to statutory sick pay if you qualify for it, or the sick pay your terms of employment offer above that amount.
  • If you are unable to work due to sickness or self-isolation, you are entitled to statutory sick pay if you qualify for it, or the sick pay their terms of employment offer above that amount.

What if you’ve been made redundant

Employers can access a grant from HMRC that covers 80% of salary (up to a maximum of £2,500 a month) for each employee to ensure their job is retained. This Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme offers the grants on the proviso the employer does not make them redundant. This scheme is understood to be backdated so that employees recently made redundant may be rehired and covered by the scheme. Tenants who have recently been made redundant should be encouraged to contact their former employer to see if they will be taking up this grant.

What financial assistance is available if you’re self-employed

Self-employed tenants may apply for a taxable grant equivalent to £2500 per month or 80% of their monthly profits averaged over the last three years (whichever is lower). This will be paid in one lump sum to cover a three month period. HMRC will contact eligible self-employed people to give them guidance on how to apply.